Re: Carey Bell Show.

>  I'm going to see the Carey Bell Show this Thursday at Manny's Car Wash
>in NYC.  Anyone else interested?
>
>  What should I look for with this band?  I'm not at all familiar with
>Carey Bell.  I only know that he had a good albumn with Big Walter
>Horton, but again, one I have not yet heard.
>
>--Norbert

        Expect a good show, Norbert.  I saw him in DC a couple of years
back and he put on a powerful show.  He plays chromatic almost exclusively.
I'm not sure what his touring band is like now, but if it's anything like
the band on his new album, you won't be let down.  (Lucky Peterson, Ray
Allison, Johnny B. Gayden, Carl Weathersby, and his son, Lurrie.)  The
album, by the way, is called Deep Down (Alligator).It ends with a nice
cover of "Easy."  Bell played Bass in Big Walter's band, I think, in the
early sixties (or very late 50's).  He actually played bass with quite a
few bands-Eddie Taylor's and Earl Hooker's among them.  But it was with Big
Walter that he must of picked up a lot of tricks. Listen for a ghostly
effect in his soloes.  If you can find Muddy Water's "'Unk' in Funk" album,
you'll hear it there.
        Too bad I'll be stuck in Poughkeespsie with thick books and a
thesis to write, but let me know how the show goes, Norbert.
---jason