Re: Junior Wells.

> From:          Norbert Brunhuber <brun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>   Now I know he is old now and probably worn out from substance abuse,
> but, in his heyday, was he a fierce Little Walter rival?  If so, what
> albumn of his showcases it?

Junior was a pretty darn good harp player in his day.    His playing
shows influences of both Walter and Rice Miller.  As far as his
personal relationship with Walter is concerned, he replaced Walter in
Muddy's band when the former struck out on his own after the success
of "Juke".   This after Walter had  hired Junior's band (The Aces,
renamed the Jukes by Walter) out from under him.  So it's quite
possible the two weren't best of friends.  Junior's best CDs (from
the CD Connection catalog) are:

 DEZ612    +WELLS*JUNIOR             HOODOO MAN BLUES
 $12.24    &DELMARK  4/90

DEZ628     WELLS*JUNIOR             SOUTHSIDE BLUES JAM
 $12.24    &DELMARK  8/92

The latter features Elmore James on some cuts.  Also, check out

 JEW3       WELLS*JUNIOR             VOL. 1-MESSIN' WITH THE KID
 $12.16     JEWEL  1/92

Which doesn't have as much harp but does have some prime material
Junior recorded for several small Chicago labels in the late 50s.
I'm not sure it's on CD presently but he recorded a fine album for
Vanguard in the 60s.  EW

Eliot Williams
University of Wisconsin Medical School
ecwillms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx