VARIOUS AND MISCELLANEOUS

Hi All -

It's been a while since I've jumped in there, but reading the last two
Digests (#25 and #27) - hey, what happened to #26, Chris and Goat Hunter?? -
grabbed my attention and I just couldn't resist.  I will try to respond to a
few specific questions.

MYSTERY RAY - My money - and there ain't much of it - but all of it goes on
this one - the Ray is none other than Ray Cormier, who with is wife has a
vaudeville-type act, Cormier & Carroll.  Jack - do you remember seeing Ray,
playing with Bud Boblink and myself at one of the recent Buckeye Festivals,
and also at a SPAH Convention in Detroit, when he played a "Little Lady"
while smoking a cigarette?  A very good player, but that one bit is what he
is remembered most for.

CLINT BLACK - Have you all forgotten his first album that featured the
harmonica in the title song, "Put Yourself In My Shoes"?  He plays on all his
albums, but not so much as the first one.  Another case of an artist who uses
harmonica and guitar, but his prime instrument is his voice.  Let's all give
him, and others, their due, and appreciate the fact that they are at least
bringing harps to the attention of the masses.  (BTW, Clint stopped in at the
Harmonica Store in North Hollywood a few months ago on his skateboard, and
purchased a supply of harps from Marv Wolfe.)

STANLEY BEHRENS - Stanley has done sound tracks for many films, TV sitcoms &
specials, and commercials.  He plays sax and flute, in addition to harmonica.
 He had the distinction of recording an album titled 'The Stanley Behrens /
Willie Dixon Project" in 1992 that was to be Willie's last album before he
died.  For info on Stanley and copies of the CD, write to Blue Baron Music,
2901 Beach Ave, Venice, CA 90291.

STEVIE WONDER - Plays primarily 64 Chromatic, though he has been known to
blow a diatonic at times.  Stevie's harps, based on the Hohner 64, are NOT
off-the-shelf, but custom made for him by none other than Frank Huang,
brother of Cham-Ber Huang.  Frank has made Stevie's harps for many years, so
continued after he and Cham-Ber split with Hohner.  Also, Stevie prefers the
tone of the solid brass comb, so he plays a "heavy-weight" in every sense of
the word.

To Jack Ely - thanks for the note regarding "Other Tunings", and I'm glad to
hear that it prompted you to try some of the suggestions.  However, I hope
you saw my later post carrying the correction to the reference to the Dorian
tuning.  Just in case, the correct method to making your own Dorian harp
without actually needing to retune, "mix & match" a Gm Natural Minor blow
reed plate with a C Major draw reed plate to make a G Dorian harp.  Have fun!

A couple of names I haven't seen recently on the Harp-L - John P Christin and
Bob Miner - I know you are both extremely busy, but I hope you are still out
there, and everything's OK!?!

Going back into my hole now - see you later.  Danny Wilson (BassHarp)