Re: Suzuki Pro-master valved

> A little while back someone (I forget who) posted that Suzuki
> Pro-master valved harps don't have windsavers on the top holes.
> I've got one from Kevin's a couple months back that is valved
> on all 10 holes. I don't know if this is a relic or a new
> version. I tend to believe it is newer because I also got
> a Hohner ProHarp the same order and it was an MS.

That's good to know.  Maybe Suzuki saw the light.  I sure hope so!

> I like this harp (the Suzuki). It may end up being one of my
> favorites in certain circumstances. Being able to bend bottom
> blow notes is soooo sweet!

That's a mouthful!  (Excuse the pun.)

Even for those who play only second position, it gives you a LOT more to
work with.  and if you play other positions, it gives you incredible
flexibility.

> Like everyone else said, the
> windsavers tend to buzz at times, but that's ok, I like a good
> buzz.

You'll find buzzing on the blow notes on the lower 6, especially the
bottom three or four.  This is caused by 1. not enough wind pressure to
firmly seat the valves, and 2. a sympathetic resonance of the valve with
the opposing reed, not unlike a kazoo.  As it breaks in, this will
minimize.  Also, if it really annoys you, put it BRIEFLY under a LITTLE
running water, just to SLIGHTLY moisten the valves.  You don't want much -
just a couple drops per hole.  Shake it out well, and make sure you
thoroughly dry it before putting away.

Normal condensation from playing will usually be sufficient.

You'll find the buzz is minimal once you learn to have a reasonably medium
light touch.  Also, a good resonance helps minimize the buzzing.  It's a
little hard at first on the blow notes - we're so accustomed to using
resonance mainly on draw notes for vibrato and bending.

If you play through a Bullet/JT30 into an overdriven amp, the buzzing
actually gives a better sound.

> Overall it's got a strong tone too. Very powerful
> compared to my usual Lee Oskars. Almost like pushing the
> loudness button on a stereo, but across the whole range, not
> just low end. These reeds feel like they will be around for
> a while. The metal comb is a little rougher on the lips than
> plastic, but much better (IMHO) than wood.

The loudness is due to the windsavers making your wind work harder.  when
you valve Oskars, you get the same effect.  But the metal comb has a lot
to do with the sound, too.  Even valved Oskars don't have quite the same
tone.  Ditto Blues Harp and Cross Harp, the others I've tried valving.

> It's easy enough to bend the top draw notes, but they are
> wicked hard to control. I get lots of harsh ringing. Oh well,
> guess I better practice.

Once it's broken in, they'll smooth out.  Also, you need a LIGHT touch on
the high draw bends.  You'll also need to work on bending technique.
These reeds like a different touch.  Draw 10 is particularly difficult.

> see that the harp is pretty well put together. Too bad the
> reeds and comb aren't matched metal.

If you don't keep it clean and dry, it gets white corrosion in the holes.
Looks like you've gotten spaghetti paste or something in it, but it's
aluminum salts.  Too bad they didn't go with a brass comb or other
ionically similar metal.

I also don't like the way the cover plates go on.  If you're not careful,
you'll snag you lip between them and the reed plates.  It's hard ot get
them just right.  The factory suggested assembling them with the hole up,
face down on the table.  Still isn't easy, though.

> The box is a nicely curved plastic thing with a felt lining.
> Excellent for when you stick a harp in your pocket and go
> to a bar - the harp doesn't rattle around and there's no
> sharp corners to jab yer leg (or your partner) while you
> dance. I think this box would probably fit well in the right
> ammo belt. Plus you can buy replacement reed plates.

yup - they're smooth.  But a note of caution: they slip really easily out
of your shirt pocket - trust me.

> Bottom line, I give this harp some pretty high marks. I'll
> have to try one of the non valved Pro-masters and see how
> they sound too. Sometimes I'd like to have that extra bit
> of power, but without the valve chatter.

I've never tried an unvalved Suzuki.  Let us know how you like it.

 -- mike