RE: Ray ????? (Ray Tankersely - Old Harmonica School vs New)

Hi all,

Well, maybe it was Ray Tankersley if he's on holiday in Cincinnati, which
could be the case.  Ray lives in Saratoga, California, (South of San
Francisco, close to San Jose) but I believe he does have friends in Ohio
(Jerry Murrad, Al Smith).  Ray did play in the Borah Minnevitch Harmonica
Rascals and can be seen in the BM film "Rascals" (that's him seated atop
the piano playing bass).  For those who don't know, the Borah Minnevitch
Harmonica Rascals was a very influential (harmonically speaking) 8 piece
harmonica band during the 1930's and 1940's.  Most of great "old school"
(read chromatic, literate players, like Leo Diamond, Charlie Leighton,
Richard Hayman, Pete Pedersen, Jerry Murrud, Pete Blasberg, the late Hugh
"Pud" McCasky, Dave Douccette, etc.) can directly or indirectly - through
its influence, trace their lineage to this harmonica band.  Kim Field's
excellent book has a very good section on the BM Rascals.

Contrary to what some people might think, not all "old school" harmonica
music is smaltzy, pop polkas, and valuable lessons can be learned by
listening to the players of this genre, IMHO.  Granted, the majority of
harmonica band music does tend towards the pop side and much of the *good*
records were issued on 78s, which are hard to locate now.  But with a
little digging real gems can be unearthed.  Check out the Leo Diamond
(...I assume) arrangements on Minnevitch's "The Mooche", (78, cassette
available from Norman Ives), the great jazz solo by Charlie Leighton on
"Jersey Bounce", (Richard Hayman's "Harmonica Holiday" LP), all of
Pete Blasberg's swingin' solos on the "Sharp Harp Quintet in Rehearsal"
tape, (possibly available from Al Smith (?)) and Pete Pedersen's playing
on "American in Paris" (Hohner's Harmonica sampler LP).

Once upon a time I was just another blues player playing diatonic, when I
walked into the office of Ray Tankersley at my local Junior College (he
was a counselor).  I pulled out my battered 260 chromatic (with the button
missing, but hey, who needed to use that ol' lever thang anyway? ...  what
was good enough for Little Walter was good enough for me...) and told him
I wanted to learn chromatic.  That was the beginning of a long story and
my conversion from "just another blues player" to a harmonica player,
capable of reading (ok, not quickly), playing chromatic (w/lever!) and
some bass and chord.  It was a great education and I encourage all blues
players to expand their horizons and check out the "old school".

I'll call Ray tonight and ask him if he was in Cincinnati on Tuesday.
(Isn't this a fun list?)

 -- christopher