Re: Harp product comparisons

:  Perhaps the various harp publications could do more of this sort of
:thing.  So far I've seen comparisons (which are so useful when trying to
:spend hard-earned $$$), only on this list and in Kevin's catalog (which
:ran a three-part series not too long ago).  This is something the guitar
:players get in their mags, why not ours?
:
:--Norbert

I'll take the lead on this, although I hope Winslow or someone else pops in.
As an editor I would like nothing better than to have more product
comparisons and write ups on such in our magazine. The problem is money and
the power it has. Magazines like Guitar Player flex just a little, and get
the Ibanez line shipped to them so they will write up a review. Again Guitar
Player has the suscriber base and distribution support network to get their
magazine in every grocery store in America, at least. With that kind of
exposure every other OEM in the country sends them product in hopes of
getting a mention in the mag. Or better yet, the infamous, PRODUCT REVIEW
which is the seal of approval of the mag(even if it gets a bad rating or
review, your product still got free advertising). We could never afford to
go out and buy two or three mics or some stomp boxes or a few re-issue amps
for review in each issue. And people that pay for ads aren't gonna send out
a whole lot of equipment unless you give them the exposure they want. A
subscriber base of 500, 1000 or even 10,000 usually dosn't cut it. They want
much more. The sad part is the harmonica world has yet to support those
kinds of numbers, even thought there are over 1 million harmonicas sold in
the US each year. We have recieved a few products for review, but usually
when we review a product it belongs to someone and they have either allowed
us to use it or written a review for us. Maybe it we had a sales force to
call more manufacturers and ask we might get more product for review. Maybe
Winslow or Al Eichler has had a little more luck than me, but Hohner or
no one else, has any interest in sending us harmonicas for review. Astatic
won't send anything, Shure won't, and if you think Fender is gonna part with
a re-issue Bassman for evaluation, forget it unles you are Bass PLayer
Magazine. I could probably get on one knee and beg the local music stores to
help me sample one at best, and that's about how we've gotten product to
review. If we ever reach the audience that a mag like Guitar Player or
Keyboard Magazine gets, then they will be knocking on our door and you will
be flooded with review. Until then it's up to the Joe Filisko's and the Tom
Ellis's and the Elliot New's of this world to keep us afloat. If it weren't
for people like them the harmonica would still be a toy.

Thanks

Tim Moody
Editor,
MississippiSaxophone