RE: Those higher notes

>Kevin, let me explain my reasons for disliking Mr. Popper more than a
>little.  His lack of resemblance to Big Walter Horton is not however one
>of these reasons.  I have unfortunately read more than one interview
>with Mr. Popper.  He comes off as more than a little arrogant and self
>serving.  In one of the interviews he describes a motorcycle accident
>that he had. This accident was the result of his high rate of speed at
>the time of the accident.  If you listen to him he makes it sound as if
>he was cutoff by another vehicle and bravely managed to lay the bike down
>thereby saving the day.  As a current motorcycle rider I find his
>representation of the accident irresponsible at best.  Immature.  He
>screwed up he should own it.  His playing although somewhat unique is
>poorly articulated and lacks inspiration.  I find myself listening to
>Blues Traveler thinking that I like this band, now if they only had a
>decent harmonica player.  I must admit to not being a fan of the pop
>genre of Rock and Roll.  Big Walter Horton is one of my harmonica heros,
>but he's dead.  I am constantly looking for inspired new harmonica
>musicians.  Big Walter imitators do not qualify.  Neither does John
>Popper.  I'm glad you like Mr. Popper.  Don't make the mistake I made and
>read an interview and you'll probably do fine with him.  FJM

you are saying that because "Mr. Popper" is not a responsible motorcycle
operator, therefore you can't listen to his music.  This isn't a very
mature way of evaluating a man's musicianship.  It is true that John Popper
is not a Blues Harpist, and Blues Traveler IS a Rock and Roll band.  I have
heard them play in concert several times live- heard them play blues songs,
and I can tell you that he can hold his own among blues harpists.  And he
blows an educated chromatic.  Regardless of what you think of Popper's
negligent use of a motorbike, or his "self-serving" attitude (If you don't
know this, John Popper has done more to promote jam-oriented Rock and Roll
bands and shows in the past few years than anyone I can think of), don't
include them as reasons to dislike his music.

In music one must think with the heart and feel with the brain.-George Szell
                              Jason P.G. Martin