high-end harp

Okay, you harp-lers.  I couldn't help but notice a distinct lack of
because I'm sure several of you could have helped me out.  So this is my
question:

When I hear jazz harp players, and someone who verges on jazz play at the
high end like Sugar Blue, what mode are these people playing in?  I have
a working knowledge of 1st (straight), 2nd (crossed), and 3rd
(dorian--thank you) positions, and these jazz harp players I'm lumping
Sugar Blue in with don't seem to be doing any of these.  Am I mistaken?
Or if I'm right, what position is it, and how does that translate with,
say, a C harp.

I promise I won't give the secret away unless I get a good fat bribe.

Thanks.
		_____
	 Steve =#####= Price!