Re: Cases for Harmonicas

     There were a couple posts last week about homemade harmonica cases.
Thought I'd add my 2cents.  I've made a number of them over the years.  The
nature of the project for me has been to create a case able to hold enouph
harmonicas to cover most keys you'll encounter at a jam session, without
creating a case that draws alot of attention to itself.  I don't want to
tempt thieves, and I don't want to over-excite people who've never seen
more than one or two harmonicas in the same place at the same time.  (Wow!
Look at all the harps!  You must really cook!  Can you play Wammer Jammer?)
You get the picture.
     It also helps of course if the case can keep the harps in order, and
keep them from scraping up against each other.  I've found it can be pretty
easy to convert small boxes, small travel bags, small leather cases, even
fanny packs into ideal cases for multiple harps.  Often all these
containers need is just some sort of "egg-carton" grid-like structure to
hold the harps in place.  I've made these "grids" out of grey cardboard. I
cut a piece of board the size and shape of the harps lined up in a row.
Then I cut pieces to seperate the harps from each other.  Then I tape the
separators in place with a piece of duct tape on each side.  Then I cover
the whole works with felt (using a very thin amount of elmer's glue), stuff
the grid into the chosen container and voila.  You have a custom harp case.
     Depending on how the harps are oriented you may need to mark the keys
on the edges or the backs of the harps.  There are pens around that have
white opaque ink in them that work just fine for this purpose.
     My most useful case was made from a small leather case that fits on a
belt.  I don't know what it was originally intended for, but it is perfect
for 5 harps.  I've found that the A,C,D,F,and G harp I carry in it handle
90% of the tunes I hear on the radio and at jams.  I take it everywhere.
     For those situations where  I really want to be ready for anything,
I've converted a nice black leather fanny pack into a case that holds a
complete set of 12 harps.  Naturally I wear this sucker in the front
whether I'm playing or not.  The harps stand on edge in two rows.
     So be creative folks.  Just because our musical instruments are small,
doesn't mean we can't carry them in style.

-Rod

--
Rod Thomas                              email:   skt2@xxxxxxx
Illustrator                               phone:  (617) 449-0480