RE: recommendation

Jose' writes...

>Just thought I'd recommend something I've been listening to recently--"Hard
>Goin' Up" (Stax, 1973) by Little Sonny (Aaron Willis). Little Sonny's
>doesn't have great technique, but that's OK, for this album's mix of harp
>and horns makes for some pretty sweet soul-blues. Does anyone know if
>Little Sonny is still alive/performing? ...
8<---

I had the pleasure of seeing Little Sonny at one of the SPAH blues jams a few
years ago (only a couple years ago, really). You may be correct in describing
his playing - but he was one of the most entertaining guys I have ever seen.
Great band, I think he had a couple sons playing - I remember the (string) bass
player was one of them and he was great. Sonny has a smile a mile wide and is
one of the most gracious gentlemen I have ever met. His finale' was to roam the
entire audience with his wireless - I know, others have done this but I think
it is always effective. I sent him a Christmas card that year and he wrote
back, thanking me profusely for remembering him. As far as I know he is still
with us - I believe he is from the Detroit area. Danny can probably fill us in.
He's a class act, if you have an opportunity to see him live, go.

       Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio  --Internet--> IMS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx