Re: Sugar Blue Show.

I think the point that Rick was trying to make the other day was that to
call any fast high end licks ~Popper style~ would be premature at this
point in his career.  Relative merits of his playing aside he just hasn't
been around long enough to be viewed in any kind of historical context.
Many people play all 10 notes of the harmonica quickly and with
articulation.  Sugar Blue is perhaps among the most noteable of them.  If
I was going to call high end licks played quickly a ~style~ I would call
them ~Sugar Blue style licks~.  People are influenced by what comes
befpore them.  John Popper is much younger than Sugar Blue and therefore
must be considered as being if anything influenced by Sugar Blue.  (he,
Popper, claims not to be influenced by any harmonica players). My feeling
about what's different about John Popper's playing is this.  The
setting.  Jazz influenced pop rock has never been played in the popular
arena on a harmonica. BTW you want to hear fast check out the new Madcat
CD, Madcat's Harmonicology.  Fast with good articulation of the notes
something John Popper has yet to be able to manage.  Did I forget lyrical
to boot?  Another thing John seems to need work on.  FJM