Sugar Blue Show.

  I saw the Sugar Blue show last night and it was just fabulous!  He had
two guitartists, bass and drums.  One of the guitarists was this Japanese
guy who had just the sweetest sound coming from his Gibson/Fender amp
setup.  The other guitarist was a great showman.  The opening numbers
this group did showcased the great mix of music they were putting together.

  Sugar was playing through a JT-30vc and a wireless unit.  He used the vc
alot to shut off the sound during sudden accents, and then used it alot to
keep his sound level in touch with the dynamics of the sound.  He had an
Alesis effects rack which I could tell was putting a substantial echo onto
the sound.  The amp he was using was a small Booggie amp with probably a
single 12" speaker.  He had a huge bandolier of Special 20 harps.

  I think I remember reading somewhere that Sugar's sound was too
technical.  I thought just the opposite.  Admittedly, he was blazingly
fast, using all of the harp very quickly.  He did some Popper style high
end triplets, also a lot of tounge slapping, and great rhythmic use of
tounge lifts.  Beside this technique though, I didn't think it was
overdone, but rather really complemented what the band was doing and just
turning out very enjoyable upbeat blues.  His throat vibrato was also
excellent.  I came out of the show in awe.

  The show overall was great.  Sugar and his band were great performers
in addition to being great musicians.  Lots of jokes and posturing and
tinge of James Brown wildness.  Now I'm looking forward to the Carey Bell
show which I saw on Manny's Car Wash's schedule for Feb. 23.

--Norbert