Re: Harp on Saturday Night Live

> Yeh, when you stop to think about it - it goes with the territory. Kinda like
> when you play for a reunion, you're there to play for them and like to be
> listend to. Our club gigs used to bother me if people talked, or even if one
> person was bored or asleep. But I don't let that bother me anymore. (I used to
> focus on that person) but it's best to seek out a smiling, foot tapping face
> for your audience contact. Now, I tell the group - If you can't find a face
> that's enjoying the show - then play to a lamp shade or exit light. [One time -
> back when these things bothered me - I locked in on a man who did not move, did
> not smile, did not applaud. I wanted to go over and ask him why he botherd to
> come. At the end of the gig he walked up to the stage and raved about how
> wonderful the show was, etc. - go figure - body language sometimes lies].

Back in the late 60's, when I played with "Threes a Crowd", I was hired
to play a single (guitar and harmonica) background music (bossa novas, light
jazz, etc.) for a cocktail party.  They literally ignored me the whole
time.  Lots of conversation, laughter, etc., and not even one quick look
at the stage.  I wanted to crawl into a hole - I thought I was bombing
worse than I ever had before!

Boy was _I_ wrong.  After the party, EVERYONE came up and said how much
they LOVED the music.  I even got a bonus!

I learned quite a lesson from that.  No, not to quietly submit to
seemingly apathetic audiences.  I learned that it's important to
communicate.  I don't take "breaks" (i.e. my time); I come off stage to
talk with my audience, AND bartenders and waitresses (and believe me, if
you're not doing well, they'll let you know!  Their money depends on you
doing your job!)

Occasionally, you're going to have a setting where it is inappropriate
for the musician(s) to be the center of attention.  It's not too often,
but it's something we all need to cope with.  I have a feeling that's
what Charlie Musselwhite meant.

However, if the situation is NOT this, it's appropriate for you to
solicit applause.  I've used bits like "My job is to make you happy with
music.  Your job is to enjoy yourselves, and applaud if you like the
music.", or even a simple "It's OK to applaud if you like the music."  If
you get one or two applauding, commend them: "Alright!  That's a good
start!  We'll have more fun as the evening progresses!"

People like music, but they also like friendly, conversant musicians.
Make them feel appreciated.  Use their names.  (I keep a list of names.)
when a "regular" walks in, greet him/her from the stage (even in the
middle of a song.)  When you do these things, you're more noticed - and
appreciated.  You'll have trouble KEEPING them from expressing
appreciation with applause.

                                -o-

Question: how many in Harp-L are pro's or semi-pro's?  How many are
strictly amateurs with little or no interest in performing before an
audience?

 --  mike curtis
wd6ehr@xxxxxxxxxx