Re: Those higher notes

> There are some really good harp players at the top end of of the harp
> and I'm not one of them--I'm jealous--who play with real musician ship up
> there, and I'm not talking about that.  I'm talking about hitting 9 blow
> with a bit of a bend loud, shrill, and that's all.  Why is that so
> entertaining?

I think because they don't hear many high notes on the harp, they assume it's
more of a challenge.  Kinda like the sax player who hits a screechy high
overblown note and holds it (not the same as a harp overblow, folks ;-)

Also, a little showmanship goes a long way.  hit the note, bend over backward,
go to your knees (be careful on concrete!), throw one hand straight up in the
air, throw your best vibrato or other effect, close your eyes, and posture
soulfully.

This works with low notes as well, if you have a good range of expression
while hitting the note.  Try moving your tongue around while pulling a hard
throat vibrato for some interesting yet subtle colorations.  Also vary the
vibrato speed and intensity, as well as note intensity and resonance.

But don't try this more than once or twice a night.  If you do it every song,
the audience will weary of it.  While you want to be thoroughly professional
and polished on every tune, use your best sparingly, and they'll appreciate it
all the more for its rarity.  How much would diamonds be worth if DeBeers let
them flood the market until they were as common as pebbles?  No one can
absolutely floor 'em every song, every note, every night.

 --  mike curtis
wd6ehr@xxxxxxxxxx