Re: HELP! - crash course in reed tuning needed!

>I need some help in tuning a dead(flat) reed.

I should let someone else describe this since others may be able to describe
the process to you better than I. If I leave something out, I would
appreciate it if others would jump in and add to this, or correct me if
necessary. After re-reading this, I hope some of you tuning vets will help
me out here.

If the reed's gone too flat there may be nothing you can do. When I've had
reeds that have gone a semitone or more flat they generally have a fracture
which makes the reed irrepairable. Also keep in mind that if one reed has
gone flat, there's a good chance that others will also be out of tune. I can
tune an entire harp in about 20 minutes but I couldn't tune a harp in 2 days
when I first started. It can be real frustrating until you get the hang of
it.

You also need to know what you're tuning to. The Hohners are generally "just"
tuned to A-444 with the exception of the Golden Melody and Meisterklasse
(which are "equal" tuned). This means that all reeds aren't tuned the
same(although I understand that Lee Oskar's are all tuned to 443). This is not
a problem if you understand what all this means since any harp can be tuned
any way you want it. (This subject should be addressed in detail elsewhere)

To tune reeds you'll need some specialized tools. Different players have their
favorites. I use an exacto knife with a curved blade for scratching the reed,
the thinnest blade from a feeler guage to support the reed, a tuner and a good
set of jewelers screw drivers.

To sharpen a reed(draw#4): Pop the covers off and support the #4 draw
reed - draw reeds are on the outside(bottom) and blow reeds on the inside(top)
for the Hohners that I've dealt with. Support the reed and gently scratch the
tip(the opposite end from the riveted side) with the exacto knife. Scratch it
at a slight lengthwise angle down the reed. If you scratch perpendicular to
the length you take a chance on breaking the reed. You should scratch no
further from the tip than the width of the reed. You don't have to take much
metal off to change the pitch of the reed, so go slow. After scratching, pluck
the reed a couple of times(like any spring system, harmonica reeds need to be
"sprung" or they can "remember" their starting position - that's an another
subject entirely). Check it with the tuner. This process must be repeated
until the pitch of the reed is where you want it. If you go too far and
sharpen the reed too much, you must "flatten" the reed.

To flatten a reed: Support the reed as described above and use the
exacto knife to scratch the reed near the riveted end. Scratch at an angle as
described above

Then put the harp back together. Also, don't rely strictly on the tuner, use
yours ears as well.