Re: Hugh M. / BSJ / Jelly Roll(?)

At 15:54 9/26/94, Craig.Smoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>To Hugh M. and all of the HARP-L'ers,
>
>[Hugh / BSJ]
>I just wanted to congratulate Hugh and his band, the Snake Doctors, for
>putting on a *GREAT* show this past Saturday at Huntsville's Big Spring
>Jam! :-)  That was my first time to see them, and let me tell you...
>they are one of THE BEST bands around, and now are also one of my
>favorites!

[Blush]

Why thankyou!

>I do think, however, that *you* could been up a little more
>in the mix.  I thought your great playing deserved a little more volume,
>and I could BARELY hear your Hammond at all.  Oh well, you guys still
>KICKED!  I *WILL* be there (Turning Pointe) this Thursday night! :-)

Yeah, we didn't get much of a soundcheck.  We were supposed to set up at
11:30, ready to play by 12:45.  When we got there, Little Richard's band
had only just started sound checking.  We ended up with exactly six minutes
to set up and sound check before we played.  Mix was great on stage -
buckets of harp (I was trying out the 3*10" Crate Vintage Club, which kicks
ass) and organ.

For the first time we tried miking both of the rotating speakers (it's a
Yamaha, with two speakers that rotate out of phase), and panned one all the
way left and the other all the way right.

>[Jelly Roll]
>I caught the last song that these guys played on Sunday and they too
>had a great harper like Hugh! :-)  Does anyone know ANYTHING about
>them or their harp player?  They were excellent IMO. :-)

They've been playing around Huntsville for the last year, usually at the
Tip Top or Lanny's (now deceased).  I think they are from somewhere in
North Carolina, but I'm not sure.  They played the Tip Top last year on a
Big Spring Jam night, at which point my guitar player was living right next
door to the club.  The whole band came round to his house after the gig and
we jammed till about 5am, along with a couple of people from Mamou.

It was a hell of a jam - I've forgotten the harp players name, but he is
awesome.  Some of the best fast top end licks I've ever heard.  We had a
mutual admiration society going there for a while - I wanted his technical
skills and he wanted my tone.

>Later Harp people,
>Craig S.
>craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx