RE: Cheap Chromatics. Winslo 'n stuff.

Gordon asked about the Cadet Soloist:

Kevin's catalog (of New Jersey) quotes Huang: The starter model for playing
the chromatic harmonica.  It has the exact tone arrangement of the natural
notes of the chromatic model.  Beginners are recommended to learn all the
basics on Cadet Soloist first, and continue for advanced chromatic playing
onthe Professional 1248.

They don't appear to be positioning the 'natural' or 'solo' tuning for
anything except transitioning to chromatic playing.

>Ho(h)ner do a solo tuned (Marine Band?). It is clearly aimed at the folk
>player.

The Marine Band 364/S - 12 holes, C only, wood, 'solo tuned' for $23 USD.
The only one listed.

I don't see any plastic 12 hole combs in their line yet except for
chromatics.  Others may know more about other options and future plans.

Do you know about 'country' or' major 7th' tuning? Gives you the F# instead
of the F on a C harp on draw 5 without losing anything, because you can
still get the F by bending (maybe easier than overblowing for the F# with
Richter).  It opens up the G major scale (Ionian) in second (cross)
position and a bunch more modal options with just that one note change. The
SBS Harp Handbook details this out and I think Chris M told me that Charlie
McCoy uses this a lot (or was it in Kim Fields book? :)  Something else to
consider for 10 holes.

Regards,                  haandruss@xxxxxxx
Harv                      *Opinions my own*