Re: help guys!

Hi Gang,

If you will recall, I introduced myself a while back as a beginner.
Since I have been lurking in this group, I have noticed a number of issues
with beginners that don't seem to be covered in the literature
accompanying new harmonicas.  The situation below is one example.  As such
I wanted to throw this recommendation out to he group, because I am not
sure if it is one I should be making privately to other newbies:  i.e., I
am unsure of this gentleman's credentials with the experts.  For what ever
reason, I was attracted to the harp, so I decided to go the "cheapo" route
and purchase the "Country & Blues Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless"
book by Jon Gindick, cassette, and harmonica package (Klutz Press, 2121
Staunton Ct., Palo Alto, CA 94306, 415-424-0739).  The book is humorous and
informative.  For example, these lines were interesting in light of recent
conversations on this list:

"Be aware, too, that a couple of notes, 2 draw and 3 draw especially, are
tricky to play on any harp."

"Playing With Singers.  As a harp player, you should not play continuously.
Far better to phrase your riffs, weave them in and out....Don't play over
them."

Some chapters include:  Straight Harp; The Rich Clear, Single Note; The
Soul of the Harmonica (hand placement, use of tongue); Cross Harp;
Bending; Taking Your Act on the Road; Musical Theory for the Musically
Hopeless; Advanced Straight Harp; The Higher Notes.

I found it to be a nice, friendly, and informative starting point for
people at ground zero.  I do not know Mr. Gindick, nor am I affiliated
with Klutz (although, my wife might say that I was a klutz ;-).  Just to be
sure, is this an acceptable recommendation for newbies?

Kevin