Re: New Crate amps?

> My friendly local music shop called me yesterday (they know I'm a sucker
> for new toys) and told me about some new Crate amps they just got in.  He
> said something along the lines of "it's the same tube set as a Vox" and
> that they are getting rave reviews from harp players.
>
> Anyone tried them?

I tried 'em in a music store. They use four 6BQ5 power tubes, which is
what Vox used and which is an unusual line-up, to get something in the
45-50-watt power amp range. The 6BQ5s are a mini version of the popular
EL34 tubes, as I recall, and they have a very warm, buttery distortion (a
lot of old Marshalls used EL34s, as do many of the new ones). Bottom
line: Nicer distortion than the 6L6 tubes common in Fender amps. Old
Gibsons also used the 6BQ5 tubes, but usually only two of 'em for 20
watts or so output.
 The new Crates look cool too and are reasonably priced. They just put
out a head in this "Vintage Club" series that I might try with a 2X10"
cabinet I have.