Re: How'd they do it?

>On Mon, 12 Sep 1994 GREENWAY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> When I interviewed him for my book, Magic Dick told me he usually used
>> a Fender Champ in the studio when he was with J. Geils.
>
> Kim, is that a regular Champ or a vibro Champ? Is it possible to get
>that reverb and thick tone with a regular Champ? My Champ doesn't have
>any reverb. And I know, I know, it's not the equipment, it's the player.
>(I was at a workshop with Charlie Sayles this weekend. He demonstrated
>a couple of different blues harp styles with a vocal mic through a pa.
>His Big Walter example was almost perfect). But "Whammer Jammer" just
>sounds so much fatter than a Champ can get. Maybe it was one of the old
>tweed Champs?
>
>-Steve

I have a plain old blackface 1964 Champ that has the nicest tone of any harp amp I have.
The fat tone doesn't come from the amp.  It comes from opening your throat up as wide as
you can and playing with an open airstream.  I said this last week.  Big Walter used a Princeton,
he had the fattest tone around.

Bernie Clarke
"Don't start me to talkin', I'll tell everything I know" - SBWII