Re: diatonics and song keys

>If you are to play a song in the key of A  then you use an "A Harp" Yes?
>and so on i.e. E-harp for songs in the key of E etc etc
>
>Does this change when you start bending the notes?

There is no easy answer to this question because many keys are available on
any given harmonica. "Typically", blues are played in the key a fifth above
the key of the harmonica. This is called "cross harp" or "second position".
That means, on an "A" harp, you play in "E".

There are lots of songs though, where you may want to play in A on an A
harp. But there are other cases where you may want to play in A on a G
harp. And there are other possibilities as well.

I suggest getting a good "how to" book. I have no idea what the best ones
out there are these days(and there are many) but I'm sure some of those on
this list have some good suggestions. One indispensible book for any harp
player is "The Harp Handbook" by Steve Baker. It's not a true "how to" book
but it is loaded with important info such as the answers to your questions.