Re: Sit-Ins (sessions)/MORE

	[SNIP..........SNIP]

    [SNIP AGAIN]

> Thus, it could be argued that if one of these
> is not directing that energy into his/her "profession," or they might be
> revealing their musical "secrets" to the public before they have them
> copyrighted and recorded.

	Well If it *were* so, it just reafirms my felling that the god
	money is far more important over in the States (in the music
	world) than in the UK.

> but I think we need to remember that making and recording music is becoming
> more accessible to the masses, and with that greater dispersion comes change.
> And a not unrelated issue is the alteration in the economies of many of
> the industrialized nations.  In Japan, for example, lifetime commitments
> to employers, and the rarity of layoffs has fallen by the wayside as the
> Japanese economy has had to adjust to new conditions.  I feel this means
> that more people tend to look at ideas like making and recording music as a
> means of making money.

	OK,. I think we could look at the media for  some answers here too.
	Look at the T.V. Ads (and films). If you don't have what the ones
	in the ads. have your out, a nobody.

	It is a huge problem in England now, as vast numbers of young
	kids and adults have no jobs, no money. no future.
	T.V. Ads still show all these desirable things that we are told
	we have to have to be happy. How do you get them.
	Crime, violence and maybe by becoming a rock star.

	I covered a bit more than was good there, it's a bit out of scope
	I know, but it relates just the same.

	Also, I for one do not see why we (people at large) can not learn
	to play an instrument well, our use Hi-Tech gear to compose (good)
	music and just do it for the pleasure it brings us and our friends.

	I compose music on computer/synths. Big scale stuff some of it.
	I have turned down (one or two) offers on it, as I do it for myself.
	It is a cathartic thing for me to produce music, play or sing.

	I am (quite) well known in my own little way, so I do get asked
	to do gigs. Yes, I do them on and off, and for cash sometimes :-)

	However, I gave up being a Pro. years ago. I did not enjoy it when
	it just became a job to me.

	I could go back to it, but I'm content to pootle along in my own
	small way. I don't need the fame. I do mostly charity, schools,
	small folk clubs and concerts now.

	But then, I *do* have a job. I left music for it 17 years ago,
	and for the most part, I'm glad I did.

	Is is necessarily desirable to aim at becoming a "star" how ever
	small. Or that we always think our music should be published?

	After all, I bet most of the readers here did not learn to play
	just to become famous. If indeed any at all made that their goal.

	I'm sorry it's a bit soap boxish, but I stand by what I say
	just the same. Music for fun!

	And that does *NOT* imply that there would be no more Pro musicians
	if we all took this to heart!!

 many people in the U.S. workforce are off work today--national
> holiday.  And I think most people on these groups have work links to the
Internet.  I will think about you while I am sipping a cool drink on
> the beach today. :-)

	Yes, I post from work in England too.
	Thanks for the thought, I hope it's a really nice, sunny day for you.

 Gordon