Big Walter

Barry,

I've lately discovered the power of Hortons' playing myself.  I'm especially
entranced by his efforts on the Johnny Young album "Chicago Blues".
Horton plays on the last 12 songs, while James Cotton is on the
first twelve.  Though I revere Cotton as well, the contrast in the styles
of these two players really is interesting.  I'm not adept at talking
musically, but Walter's tone, his flourishes, phrasing, layering,
accents, embellishments... all the things which, to me, makes the harp
valuable in blues, are juicy indeed.  I'm lovin' it.  Just when my own
playing was falling into another dull zone, I find new inspiration.
Ain't it great.  -dnA