Re: Sit-Ins (sessions)

> There are quite a few 'open mikes' here but you have to 'earn your
> stripes', know a few folks.  Theres a few new ones where that is less of an
> issue.  Chris M. could tell you more, but on any given night you can
> probably play somewhere in the Mpls/St. Paul area if you wanted to.

There are open jams every night of the week in Mpls/St. Paul.  Even on Fri
and Sat nights an open jam can be found at a place in downtown Mpls.  They
call it a looser's jam "because real musicians would be out making money"

Most places around here you have to be an incredible playeror know
somebody to play for any length of time.  There are several places where
you just grab a mic and start playing, they won't ask you up but will ask
you down if your chops are not in order.  Last Mon,  I went to a jam and
sat around all night waiting to be called up.  After the second set the
band leader asked why I didn't come and play,  I told him I haven't been
asked.  He said "Guys like you don't need to ask,  just ask the sound man
for a mic and play all night..."  Of course if a  guy like Jack McDuff
comes in I probably won't get to play at all.

I suppose what I am really saying...  jams all depend on who you are and
who you know.

BTW  I carry my "performance" harps in a little wooden box made especially
for my harps.  This wooden box fits inside my Anvil case where I have more
harps, mics and cables.

-Chris Michalek