Fwd: Intro. from new member

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Intro. from new member
Date:    94-09-02 01:16:46 EDT
From:    WolfSA
To:      Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think I've died and gone to Harmonica Heaven!!

I just found out about this group and subscibed yeaterday.  I am very pleased
with the immensely full mailbox today, and with all I've read.  It is very
gratifying to find such a large group of Harp Lovers.  If you all don't mind,
I'd like to introduce myself and add some comments and a question.

I am a harp player in San Antonio, Tx.  I've played for the last 7 years and
have gained a decent reputation among our small, but dedicated music culture
here.  I play mostly blues, but work well with folk, country, jazz and other
styles.  We don't have many harp players here, at least not professionals.
 Though there are many harp lovers in town that try their best, and are
slowly learning.  I hope to gain a lot of knowledge from this list, since I'm
no Little Walter myself and have a long way to go.

Re: The subject of rude players.
     I've read the many comments on this subject and have some thoughts since
this has been an important area to me.  One of the problems with playing harp
in this area for many years has been that most of the bands became "harp-shy"
from having to put up with many disrespectful players, who tried to get
attention by playing loudly and obnoxiously in the back (or the front for
that matter) of the clubs.  It took a long time and a lot of good contacts
for me to be able to sit in and then perform regularly with the many bands
and musicians I now call friends.  I try to encourage new players when I can,
but I've taken time to develop a good reputation.  So, when I here or notice
someone (usually drunk) wailing away in the back while a band is trying to
perform, I feel it necessary to set that person straight and get them to use
a little respect and etiquette.  Maybe this problem is particular to
Americans, but I've noticed way too many rude harp players who really need to
sit back and not try to force themselves on a band.  Fortunately, in the past
couple years, our many open jams and forums have been better organized and
the harp players have been given the proper times to take there turns, and
respect is the order of the day.  The several harp players that do show up
are now doing their own sort of policing in order to upgrade the reputation
of the harmonica in this town.

It is just as important for a player to learn when to play and when not to
play, while up with the band.   Again, many musicians have been quite pissed
off over the novice harp player that gets up and plays from measure one
without stopping thereby destroying the dynamics of the group.  Myself, and
others are trying to educate players that the harp has it's place in the
song, and not full-tilt-bozo from start to finish.  So, this issue is of
concern to me, so the more we educate our fellow harp players the better.

Re:chromatics

Though I've gone on, I do have one question:
I'm mainly a diatonic player, but have had some chromatic experience.  I
played an old Chromonica64 until it went belly-up, and have not played for
awhile.  I'm looking to get a chromatic again, but want one available in most
keys and has the capability to bend notes somewhat.  I'd prefer one with at
least 3 octives.  Any Suggestions?  Your responses can be sent to me directly
to the address below, if you don't want to tie up this list.

Thanks for hearing me out and am looking forward to a long relationship with
this group!!

Jim Smorto
WolfSA@xxxxxxx