Re: Obnoxious category/OPEN Q...

>Hi harpers,
>  This is a little of the subject of the thread but....
> Do you have what we would term as "sessions" in the USA?

Yes and no. First, jams (what you call sessions), at least in NYC
tend to have a good number of musicians show up. I go down to
Manny's Car wash sometimes on Sunday nights and there are
about 30 or more  musicians that show up. What you do is put
your name and instrument on a sign up sheet and the host puts
together bands which play a few songs. A good drummer or
bassist might be in such demand that he lasts all night. Harp
players usually play through the PA and the engineer turns them
down. There is a sign that the host holds up which says "Too Loud"
which is used instead of a gong. I don't play. This atmosphere has little
appeal to me.
There are a couple of other bars in NY where the band invites
anyone in the audience to sit in. This is after midnight usually
and these can be good. Dan Lynch's has a jam which I have
never been to. My cousin used to go there.
In Washington DC the New Vegas Lounge has a "Professional Jam"
on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. It is a showcase for local
bands. Not many people show up (at least in the summer when
college is out). If things are going slow, I wait for the band to
finish their greatest hits and then ask to join in. I have always
been welcomed. I always sit down after two songs and they always
look relieved, but ask me to continue. It's very supportive. There
are good and bad singers and better harpers than me and
a mix of individual instruments who sit in. Lots of beer and its a
two block walk from the hotel I usually stay at.
What you would like is the Friday night session at one of
my friend's cellar. It has as many as 30 people on a good
night. Two or three drummers switch off and I've seen up to
8 guitarists (all playing too loud). Norbert, from this list, has
been there on a quiet night. It's free and everyone is invited
as long as you bring a sixpack. You have to call me about
six on friday's to see if its on.

      Keith Graham