12th position??!@?

Hi all,

I was screwing around with my D harp the other day while driving, playing
along with the radio.  Anyways, since I only had this one harp on me at the
time I was just trying to play along with whatever key happened to come up.
During one song I noticed I was playing some good sounding stuff but in a
position I wasn't all that familiar with.  After some checking I figured
out that I was playing in the key of G on a D harp.  Using our convention
of naming positions on the harp using the "circle of fifths" I guess you
would call this 12th position.  Anyway, it worked out well, except that the
fourth step of the scale was raised a half step (Lydian mode don't ya know),
but I was able to avoid this note when it didn't fit (sometimes it did fit,
like when doing a cadence which resoved to V of the key, or for this
example when the chords went to D).

Anybody out there actually use this postion on a regular basis?  What songs,
or types of songs does it work on?  The fourth note of this G scale on a D
harp falls on the draw7 so it's nearly impossible to get the note flat by
bending (draw6 is only a half step down from there in pitch)...or is it?
TIA for any info or anecdotes you can share with me concerning this weird
position.

Bill Long >-- StarGazer