Re: James Harman

On Fri, 28 Oct 1994 wlgrogan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all,
> 	Been listening to some of the James Harman Band cuts off of a harp
> anthology album produced by Blacktop Records that my friend (and colleague!)
> Mark Holland bootlegged for me on tape.  He seems to play all of the songs I
> have heard with a low harp, possibly an A-flat.  Can't home in on them with
> a G or an A, but close!  Does anyone know what he might be using for example
> on "Love and War" and others from that album.

 That album is "Blues Harmonica Spotlight" and it gets the coveted "4
Harp Rating" in my book. I've stolen all kinds of riffs from this album
and have inserted them into songs my band does (for example, I lift the
solo from the Crawl's "Full Moon Over Dallas" and use it in my band's
version of Professor Longhair's "Hey, Little Girl).
 There are two or three Harman tracks on this
album, but "In Love and War" isn't one of them...that's by a band out of
Dallas whose name slips my mind (not Anson & Rockets).
 Harman's stuff on that album is mostly songs in E, done with an A harp,
as I recall. If it sounds like Ab, that's because the tape copy was made
too slow! This is a common problem...my equipment does this. A slight
drift in tape speed and the key of the song unintentionally changes.