Shanghai Harmonica Plant

     >  He said harmonica production this year was expected to climb to
     eight million...

     That's a remarkable production run.  Hohner in its heyday during the
     30s and 40s produced only 9 or 10 million a year.  In recent years, I
     understand that Hohner has been producing about 1 million harmonicas a
     year (although I heard a rumor at SPAH that the 1993 production was up
     to 1.7 million) -- I think this is world-wide sales figures, but it
     may just be US sales.

     Five minutes after I read this posting, I happened just by chance to
     receive a phone call from Beijing from a good friend who runs the
     Reuters TV bureau in China.  He knew about this story, since it was
     written by a Reuters journalist based in Shanghai.  My TV friend is
     thinking of doing a video piece about the harmonica plant.  If he
     does, he has promised to ask some of the questions I told him I would
     fax to him later this week.  So...if anyone has questions, post them
     and I will forward them to Beijing.  Maybe we can get some answers
     back.

     Tomcat