re:Tuned metal bodies

On 17 Oct 1994, Tan Cheng Ann wrote:

> apart from the question of playing the harp in other positions, which
> Tim raised...doesn't the metal body have only one
> natural/resonance frequency?
	It may have its fundamental at one frequency, but all wavelengths
corresponding to the equation
	lambda=1/i or  Lambda being the wavelength, and i being all
integers. 1 is the original wavelength of the frequency the body is tuned
to.  This means that all of those frequencies (fundamentals) will vibrate
the entire harp (sympathetically) also. Unfortunately, I don't have to do
the calculation to tell that the frequencies pointed to in Winslows post or
the Harp Handbook will not all be fundamentals of the tuned body, and hence I
can't believe these harps won't have odd volume shifts.  Bonking the comb
and hearing a pling instead of a thunk just tells me "We did what we said
we would do, now we just have to see what we did does."