William Clarke

I saw William Clarke last night. It was the second time I've seen him and
it was a great show (at least for the set I was there for - it was kind of
late and I'm far from being able to quit the day job :)

Clarke's great to hear recorded, but live he's just spectacular. He's
very spontaneous - often stopping a song, pausing, stomping a beat out
with is foot and starting a new one. He played a lot of chromatic, which
he is very proficient on. He's one of the few blues players I've seen
play chromatic fully (that is, sing the slide).

I talked to him a little after the first set. He's playing through a '59
Bassman with a delay pedal for reverb. His mic looked like an old
Astatic. He told me that he didn't play chromatic until he met George
Smith. He plays Hohner 270 chromatics I told him that a lot of his diatonic
playing sounded like  chromatic and I wondered if he played in third
position a lot. He told me that it's because he plays a lot of octaves.
(somethign that Piazza does too)

Clarke has a new album coming out on Alligator in a couple of weeks. He
sad that he worked prety hard on it and it looks like it might be a good one.