Re: Snoring Rodents

On the subject of opening up the nasal passages (a welcome digression from the
thread subject, I might add), I find that I prefer the tone that I get when
I pinch the end of my nose and open up my nasal passages.  This makes sense
since it adds another resonant chamber to that of my mouth and pharynx and
hence provides more overtones.  For some people, I could imagine that the
effect would increase the size of this chamber instead of adding another one.
This could explain a change in pitch.

I feel pretty silly holding my nose while I play so I haven't explored this
too much (especially in public).  Maybe a nose clip would be more acceptable?
Nose plugs?  Surgical alteration?  Perhaps it is possible to open up the
sinus area a little bit and get the best of both worlds.  Does anyone do this?
Another discovery that improved my tone no end, was learning how to lift my
soft palette very high while playing.

+Richard Owen