Re: JT-30 JT-30VC and Blues Blaster

>Yes Tim.  The taper of the JT30VC volume pot is different than that of
>the Blues Blaster.  The frequency response specs are different also.
>30-8000HZ for the Astatic and 30-10000HZ for the Blaster.  The Blues
>Blaster is also heavier.  10oz.  versus 8.5oz. for the Astatic.  The
>production engineer at CTI Audio (ASTATIC) says they control the
>frequency response by what's in front of the element i.e. that gauze.
>Perhaps they use different materials?  I'm curious as to the value of the
>resistor value of the JT30VC.  The one across the element.  Perhaps it's
>different on the Blues Blaster.  The crystal elements are extremely
>sensitive to impedance loading.  The volume pots would change this spec.  FJM

Isn't that a capacitor across the element? My Blues Blaster has a 100K pot
and although I can't read the value on the cap, it is physically so small
that I'd bet it was arounnd 5pF.

When you say different taper, are you referring to linear vs. log(audio)?

Allllrighty then...while we're on the subject of mic's I have a question
for you bullet mic experts(Tim, FJM, et. al.). I currently own a Blues
Blaster(not very impressive), a late model('88) Green Bullet(don't like it
much) and an old JT-30(I like it). I was recently given an old Motorola
table radio mic from a WWII south Texas desert lookout sight that was
supposed to squawk that "the Japs are coming in from Mexico"(No racial
slurs intended, it's history). Well, I snagged the crystal element out of
this mic and did a test and it has a real sweet sound. I have a black
Astatic(JT-30) shell that this element fits into nicely. The problem is the
connector. I don't remember where I got this thing but it came with a
cheesy POS three-terminal connector. (Why is it that the Astatics have come
with cords that won't stand stage abuse?) I ripped the connector out and
was thinking of mounting a 1/4" phone jack(female) and using a regular
patch cord. Well these things have non-standard threads and I can't find
anything that'll do the job. I could put on one of those Astatic screw on
connectors but can't find one. They have a slight reliability problem but I
know how to use a soldering iron. I am open to suggestions and sources of
connectors. Please respond.

Rick Barker