Re: Harp and the NOSE

At 11:34 AM 10/7/94 -0500, Hugh Messenger wrote:
>Winslow - do you snore?  Just a thought.  I snore *very* badly, which has
>something to do with the construction of the nasal / throat passage.  Maybe
>has soemthing to do with dose closed bending.

Hmmm, yes, very coherent.  I'll try again ...

I have this theory (oh no, not again) that bending comes down to
constriction of the airflow at the back of the tongue, entrance to throat
area (I really should learn the proper term for this area of the mouth!).
All the stuff we do with the tongue, the jaw and the rest of the face
simply affects how air travels through the <whatever it is>.

Anyway, due to the peculiarity of the construction of the bit of the
<whatever it is> that makes me prone to snoring, when I close by dose, it
noticeably constricts the <whatever it is>.  I snore because when I relax
my face, by dose automatically half closes, constricting the <whatever it
is>, resulting in a truely revolting oinking, bleating kind of pneumatic
construction machinery like noise which my wife will one day divorce me
over.  I bend notes when I close by dose for the same reason.  Well, that's
my theory anyway.  Not quite the universal field theory, but we all have
our purpose in life.

There, that's much more lucid ... ho ho.  I'm sure you catch my general
drift, though.  Anyone who has a theory that harp players furtively eat
rodents on stage probably marches to the beat of the same different drummer
I march to.

>   -- hugh

   -- hugh