Re: Harmonigopher FAQ

Well I would like to add a slightly different suggestion on how to organize
the FAQ, together with some examples of questions, so that the experts can write
answers for them. Wasn't compiling a list of questions Winslows original idea?
Unfortunately I cannot edit the FAQ, because I am not sure how long I will still
have electronic mail...

Of course it is going to be a problem to compile the questions and especially
the answers to the questions. Maybe we should compile the answers to the ques-
tions as the topics come up? Perhaps we should send possible questions and
answers together with their topic number to a special FAQ-archive, so that they
can be put into the right place. Interesting results of discussions on the list
could be handled the same. Unfortunately this requires someone to create and
maintain a FAQ-archive somewhere...

Bart de Boer

Here's my (extendable) list of topics:

1) EQUIPMENT
   1.1) HARMONICAS
   1.2) ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT
   1.3) HARMONICA MAINTENANCE

2) DOCUMENTATION AND BACKGROUND
   2.1) BOOKS
   2.2) MAGAZINES
   2.3) CLUBS
   2.4) ELECTRONIC INFORMATION
   2.5) INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS
   2.6) PRODUCT SOURCES

3) PLAYING
   3.1) BASIC TECHNIQUES
   3.2) ADVANCED TECHNIQUES
   3.3) STYLES

4) HISTORY AND DISCOGRAPHY
   4.1) HISTORY OF THE INSTRUMENT
   4.2) HISTORY OF PLAYING
   4.3) ARTISTS AND RECORDS

And now some example questions for the different categories who is going to
answer them?):
1.1)
What types of harmonica exist?
What brands of harmonicas are there?
What materials are harmonicas made of, which of these are the best?

1.2)
What amplifier should I use?
What microphone should I use?
What kind of equipment do my harmonica heroes use?

1.3)
How do I tune my harmonica?
How do I replace reeds?
How can I get spare parts?
How do I replace valves on my chromatic?

2.1)
What are interesting books on harmonica? Where can I get them?

2.2)
Which magazines are there? Where can I get them? How much do they cost?

2.3)
Which harmonica clubs are in my area? How do I become a member?
What do they offer?

2.4)
What electronic resources are there related to harmonicas?

2.5)
What kinds of courses are available for harmonica playing?
(Books/videos/tapes/seminars)

2.6)
Where can I find harmonica stores near my home?
Which post order companies are there?
What are the adresses of the different harmonica importers/manufacterers?

3.1)
What is puckering? What is tongue blocking? What is bending? What chords are
available on my harmonica?

3.2)
What is overblowing? What should I do to improve my tone? How can I adjust
my harmonica to improve my playing?

3.3)
What styles are there? What tehniques should I use for which style?

4.1)
When was the harmonica invented? Where was it invented? How is it related to
other instruments? How were the different types of harmonica derived?

4.2)
How did harmonica playing evolve? Who are the big chicago players? Who were
their inspiration? Where is harmonica playing today going?

4.3)
Just a list of artists and records?