Harp and the NOSE

TO: internet:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    >I've tried this experiment with a chromatic tuner, and a
    >diatonic will flatten out when you close off your dose on
    >draw dotes. If you use very little breath the flattening is
    >not noticeable, but the more breath you use the flatter the
    >note will get. This is of course my personaly experience -
    >your mileage may vary.

I've never had this experience, even playing draw notes very loud
(except with a sudden attack), and I tend to believe that it's
caused by some sort of impediment in the breath flow that induces
unwanted pitch bending. Opening the nose would create an
alternate pathway, thus destroying the monopoly on the airflow
that allows the pitch to bend.

But my assumption may be wrong. Perhaps those who experience this
phenomenon (which I understand is fairly common) could contribute
some self-observation on the matter. Look for tight or
constricted places in the throat and mouth, tongue position, lips
blocking the hole, cheeks sucking together immediately behind the
lips when air is drawn in suddenly.

Hugh is no slouch, and the fact that he experiences it leads me
to wonder about it.