Re: What To Buy?

William Maitland <willmait@xxxxxxxxxx asked

>  I'm confused. My D harp recently started to fall apart. It was a
>  Hohner "Blues Harp" which I soaked occassionally when I wasn't happy
>  with the way it sounded, and now the comb (wooden) is literally
>  breaking apart.
>
>  I want to replace this ASAP so that I can work on the intro to "Love
>  Is Strong" - Stones - Voodoo Lounge, and other tunes.
>
>  I've read as many messages as I could about the pros and cons of
>  different harps, but I still don't feel like I can walk into the
>  store and say "Yep, I want that one right there." Will it be a
> "Blues
>  Harp", a "Marine Band" or a "Pro Harp" with a plastic comb.
[...]

Hi

I have a Lee Oskar in D that I like a lot. It has a nice bright sound and is
very responsive. A problem with these is that I can't get a decent overblow
tone on them, though. (I can get the note, but I also get some buzzes and
dog-whistle squeals along with the note.) I'm sure that the main cause of this
is crappy technique (but I'm working on it, I promise!  :^)

Another one that I like a lot is the Hohner Special 20. It's not as bright and
responsive as the Oskar, but it has a sweet tone, and it responds well to
overblowing. I can actually get a pretty nice tone on the overblows on the
Special 20.

-Bo Parker
Bo.Parker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
bo_parker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx