Re:Siegel, Magic Dick's - Full Court Press

===========On Corky

>Sat Oct 1 1994
>Menomonie WI 8:00

Always a day late, and more than a few dollars short.....:)

>Sat Dec 3 1994  CORKY SOLO
>LaCrosse WI 7:30
>608-785-1434

Hey Christian M?  Up for a road trip? ;);)

==========On 'Full Court Press'

On the new Bluestime CD, Magic Dick uses the "Magic harmonica" for this WAY
COOL instrumental (which BTW is why I bought this CD -- this sound I like,
wish the CD had more of it, more than makes up for some of the weak vocals
:), but he sounds pretty 'normal' on the first verse of this cut (in F),
but then does a modulation/substitution thing for the next verse (next
I-IV-V) and then goes back and forth between what I believe to be nice,
stock phrases (including a Charlie Parker 'Cool Blues' line in F major) but
then back to the 'different' double-stop and warble stuff -- Questions:
(1) is he *switching harps* from a Richter to the Magic *OR* is he playing
it all on one? (2) Can anyone do it on another harp (eg. a Minor). Any
comments appreciated.

Per Kim and Steve yesterday:

>is truly remarkable, and one of the basic tenets of his demonstration
>lecture is that all the tunings grow out of cross harp in some fashion
>or another. Although it gets very dense, because there are different
>positions inside each of these new tunings.

>Harmonic[a]s  are  disclosed  in  which  the  pitches  of  the  draw-reeds and
>blow-reeds  are  arranged  such  that, in each of at least seven successive
>cavities,  the pitch of the blow-reed is equal to or lower than that of the
>draw-reed.  Disclosed  harmonicas  also  feature  reeds  of  three  or four
>adjacent  cavities  arranged  to enable them to produce all twelve notes of
>the chromatic scale, or provide reed arrangements in which a major or minor
>chord  of the draw key-note is repeated by draw-reeds in successive sets of
>cavities,  and in which at least four adjacent cavities produce an extended
>chord  of the blow key-note. In many disclosed harmonicas, the blow-reed in
>each cavity is lower in pitch than the draw-reed.

(Anybody know who's Richard Salwitz?  Hope that PO box is current for Mr.
Beauregard - Thanks again Steve ;)

Regards,                  haandruss@xxxxxxx
Harv                      *Opinions my own*