Tape exchange

TO: internet:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had an idea today (been shavin' since I was 10 - cut myself
both times), and thought I might submit it to the list for
comment.

I get a fair number of tapes and CDs from players around the
world. Some of these are for-sale products, intended for review,
but a fair number are from players who are not so much
interested in merchandising themselves bigtime (though I'm sure
money would be welcome) as they are in just getting their stuff
out there, and probably in getting comments not only from such
visible targets as myself, but also from peers among the ranks of
semi-pros and amateurs (I'm guessing about this part, it's just a
feeling).

Some of these aren't appropriate for review in a magazine, but
deserve some kind of attention nonetheless. My idea is this:

    What about a tape exchange, where a key person or
    organization wuld have master copies of the tapes made by
    participating artists? They can duplicate the tapes, and the
    black&white arwork provided (if any) on demand, charge money
    to copy and send out requested tapes, keeping some for
    expenses and giving some back to the artist, keeping track of
    what has been sold?

    There could be a key person in North America, one in
    Australia, one in the UK/Europe, and possibly one each in
    southeast Asia, South America and Africa, depending on
    interest level and a willing volunteer. By having these
    regional distributors, prospective listeners save on the
    prohibitively expensive postage and/or impossibly slow
    delivery times occasioned by intercontinental mail. And
    neither the artist nor the distributor has money tied up in
    inventory - product is duplicated only on demand.

    Each regional librarian/distributor would maintain the
    regional list, would make it available to the others (or
    upload it to a central internet site), and would refer
    inquries to the appropriate counterpart for fulfillment - the
    U.S. librarian would refer an Italian inquiry to the European
    librarian, for example

    There is a standard price for all cassettes of particular
    length - one price for 90 minute cassettes, and another for
    60, let's say, with the provision that what's on the 90 won't
    fit on the 60. All artists get the same compensation.

    Some kind of catalog could be made on the internet, with
    listener comments and reviews available at the same site.
    No tape would be refused inclusion provided it met some
    minimum criterion for harmonica interest. As it would be
    duplicated only on demand and the catalog would reside in
    cyberspace, no material costs would be incurred until someone
    actually sent money for a tape.

    This would be a grassroots, minimum-cost way for player to
    exchange ideas, get their work out to an interested public,
    and get both peer and listener feedback (not necessarily by
    email - this could be by any means available, written or
    recorded, electronic or sent via post).

    What's in it fir the volunteer distributor/librarian?
    Possibly a small profit, definitely an on-the-ground
    knowledge of what's going on, and the importance of being a
    big wheel of sorts in the information machine - social
    connection and prestige.

Of course, I have NO INTENTION OF DOING THIS. I'm far too busy
dreaming these ideas up (and publishing a magazine).

Discussion, please (?volunteers?) Feel free to distribute this
text in any way that might advance harmonica information
exchange.

Winslow Yerxa                    HIP - the
Harmonica Information Press             Harmonica
76450.3230@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx                       Information Publication