Re: Dylan's harp style

On Sat, 1 Oct 1994, Ken Ficara wrote:
> I love Bob Dylan, I think he's a fantastic songwriter and singer and a
> better musician than he's often given credit for.
>
> However, he is a terrible harp player. He's melodically inventive but he
> has no tone, no technique, and he makes so many amateurish mistakes --

At the risk of initiating a flame war, wasn't Dylan more of an "idea" man
than a musician (in the classical sense of that term:  i.e., being
extremely proficient with your musical instruments)?  By that I mean, his
singing was not what most would call acceptable then or now, and his guitar
playing was not overwhelmingly technical; but he had a firm grip on
delivering concepts in a passionate manner.  In some ways, audiences
overlooked the fact that his singing and harmonica playing were so
unusual, because of the concepts he tried to communicate.

As usual IMHO,
Kevin