Johnny Mars/ harp sounds

Harv -
I'm posting this to the list, in case anyone else is interested (hope
you don't mind).
Johnny taught me how to play. I roadied for him for a number of years
back in the mid-eighties, and handled merchandising, fan club etc etc,
until my son (Johnny's godson) was born.
We were always searching for a way to bring the harp kicking and
screaming into the 1970's - we didn't do too well, as is evidenced by
the number of people who are trying to recreate the sound that Little
Walter etc originally created in the late '40's/early 50's (while
using the then current state of the art technology <g>) - there's a
whole raft of reasons for that (and nothing particularly wrong with
it) but Johnny's whole approach has always been to try to bring the
harp to a new, young audience by using techniques, sounds and effects
that produce a *modern* sound to which they can relate. You can argue
forever about whether the result is "proper" blues or not - my problem
with the purists is that they can always tell you what *isn't* "proper
blues", and why, but never what *is* (no flame intended, guys). Madcat
is certainly worth listening to, and is pretty informative as to how he
achieves the sounds he does. I suspect that Johnny would think of him
as old fashioned, in that he puts "old" ways of playing through effects
to achieve his "new" sound. The whole thing is very subjective anyway.
As for Johnny's video, I know he was *very* disappointed with the way
it came out, and that he's dying to do a version that more nearly
represents where he's at - but the men in suits don't think they could
sell it, so......!
At present he uses a whole bunch of pedals, into a Yamaha rackmount
multieffects unit, into two Hughes & Kettner amps (one stereo channel
each), using a Shure Unidyne III mic. (do they still make 'em??), to
drive a belt mounted radio transmitter. The results you will have to
judge for yourself. The following albums may (or may not!) be
obtainable:-
	"Blues from Mars" - Big Bear/Polydor 2460 168 SELECT
	"Oakland Boogie"  - no details, I taped my copy off Johnny's!
	"Mighty Mars"	  - JSP 1023
	"King of the Blues Harp" - JSP1089
		(the JSP ones became JSPCD217 when they invented shiny
		silver things)
	"Fire In The City" - as the Mars Fenwick Band - President
		PTLS1083
	"Born Under A Bad Sign" - Genie LP02 - his has been licensed to
		several labels, who have all called it something else,
		so best of luck!
	"Stateside" -MMK31001-2 out now in the States, though they're
		trying to get distribution worldwide sorted out.
There's also a CD with an Italian band that Johnny has been fairly
reticent about, that's been out for a couple of years - I don't have
any more details than that.
One piece of advice Johnny gave me years ago still holds good - "You
don't need effects until you've got something to put effects on - you
don't need to play through a mic and amp until you've got a good, solid
acoustic sound - face it - if you're playing shit, then when you
amplify it, what you get is *loud shit*."
I stand by in trepidation for any brickbats coming my way out of this
- it's only what *I* think, and anyway my mother loves me!!

Steve Jennings,
Editor, Harmonica World