OLD MYSTERY

        At SPAH '94 Farrell was selling a 1976 reissue of a 1950 recording
     by the Stagg McMann Trio.  He may still have a few copies (at $12, I
     think).  It's a remarkable recording.

        From the liner notes:  "The arrangements on Side One represent a
     definite departure in style for a harmonica trio.  Young Tony Luisi,
     an unusually gifted teenager, wrote a whole new dimension in sound for
     harmonicas.  Formerly the chord and bass harmonicas worked in
     conjunction to provide train effect rhythms, shuffle, beguine or latin
     patterns to keep time.  Tony utilizes the bass to keep time largely by
     itself (ME: with modern walking bass lines!) and employs a
     revolutionary split chord method for complimentary fill-ins or full
     section harmonization when combined with the lead.  Extensive use of
     double stops by the lead and occasionally by the bass extends the
     range and enhances the overall sound."  Side Two features El
     Cumbanchero and several classical numbers.

        I've just listened again to the album after reading yesterday's
     posts.  Side one still sounds modern, and unlike any other trio work
     I've heard.  I certainly glad that I bought it (even though it warped
     badly before I got it back to Manila).  I first heard about the group
     in Kim's book.

        BTW, the thread about making promotional CD's sounds interesting.
     Perhaps the discussion should stay on Harp-L rather than disappear
     into private postings.  What do others feel about this?

        Thanks to all of you for the Shure 57/58 and amp miking discussion.
      That's very helpful for me.

     Tomcat