Bluesland Video

I just picked up a copy of the video "Bluesland" released by BMG.  It's a
history tape of Blues in America, tracing the Blues from the country
(live performance of Leadbelly included), to Delta (Son House singing and
hammering away at a National Steel), to Chicago (the usual greats).

What is really interesting about this tape, at least to me, is that it
gives a taste of what it was like experience a live performance by the
likes of Lonnie Johnson, T-Bone Walker (what energy!), Muddy (now that's
refined!  Newport Festival performance.), Sonny Boy Williamson (yes he
plays and sings, all solo).

The somewhat disappointing part of the tape is that it leaves out the
harp, focusing on guitar.  At any rate, Little Walter appears in 2
pictures (no live stuff), James Cotton on stage with Muddy at Newport,
for all of 2 seconds,  and later, Junior Wells in a 70's jam with Muddy,
Johnny Winter, Bob Margolin, Calvin Jones(I think), Pinetop Perkins, Dr.
John, W. Dixon, Koko Taylor.

At any rate, I found the tape was well worth purchasing, as it let me see
what I could only imagine from the music.  These guys had the Blues
running through, over, around and under them every second.

If anyone's interested, I say get it!

Keep Blowin' the Chrome,

Kim Hansen