Theory/Intent

At  6:58 AM 11/11/94 -0500, George W. Miklas wrote:
>On the topic of music theory, I want to appologize to everyone
>who feels 'lost.'  Somewhere, the orginal intent got lost and
>I can't remember it to save my life now.

I could be wrong, but I think we *may have* been a victim of "trolling", a
phenomenon on the internet where a new lurker drops a simple question on a
list --  maybe in hopes of maybe getting an answer -- probably in hopes of
stirring things up for their own sick entertainment value. The experts or
supposed (wannabe?) experts (I guess that's me) or anyone else for that
matter, duke it out over legitimate issues or over trivia (hard to discern
near the end :-).  It doesn't matter, but the bandwidth and energy is not
ultimately positive. The tell-tale sign *usually* is lack of participation
or acknowledgement by the original poster.

The first issue was keys, the next scales, and then minor scales, triads
and chords. These are all good subjects to talk/teach about on this list,
but much of what went on here could have better been handled off-line with
mini-lists and then summarized to the harp-l after 'misunderstandings' are
resolved.  A suggestion from me is, after two volleys, go off-line. Others
not in the game sensing that this has happened, can solicit individually.

BTW, if you get on a mini-list, you can always politely asked to be removed
:-), but not so with harp-l.  I hope people aren't bugging off harp-l
because of these little debates.  The traffic here isn't 1/4th that of a
blues-l.

Regards,
Harv       haandruss@xxxxxxx - opinions my own
           Bryan Ferry tonite, will mamma let me outta the house?