Re: music-theory

In a previous article, Karl Stork spews from his mouth:

KS  >hey you, out there in the dark...
KS  >now to my question. it's about playing in different keys. what exactly
KS  >does it mean. ...how does scales fit in.

GWM	Before chromaticism, musical instrumetents were built ONLY in
GWM	diatonic keys, consequently, musicians only could play in the
GWM	NATURAL MODES of that key.   Each mode is a scale in and of
GWM	itself.  For instance, play from B1 to B2 on your A harp, and
GWM	this will produce the DORIAN MODE in the Key of A.

GWM	In Modern day music (since the 16th century a.d.), it is
GWM	the practice of music composers and arrangers to write a
GWM	piece of music 	WITH A PARTICULAR INSTRUEMT in mind and
GWM	write the music so that finger positions, bowing, hand
GWM	positions, and foot positions are at their best positioning.
GWM	The keys of the music played by string orchestras is usually
GWM	composed in the key signatures which have sharps in them
GWM	(G D A E B F# C#) while on the other hand, music which is
GWM	composed for wind bands is usually composed in the key
GWM	signatures which have flats in them (F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Cb).

GWM	To sum this up, the use of different keys is for the
GWM	simplification of instrumental parts and to make
GWM	the reading of music easier.

KS  >... i play to myself. i DONT WANT TO play with others...

GWM	Then don't worry about keys.  With that attitude, you
GWM	won't need to know anything about them.

KS  >so maybe, if i only play to myself, i can give the f..k about keys. for
KS  >instance, i play 'when the saints' on my A-harp just as if it was a
KS  >C-harp, i cant hear the differense. it sounds good to me.

GWM	Are you tone dead?

George Miklas, Harmonicats