Re: Kim Wilson

The following is a review of the Kim Wilson album TIGERMAN that I wrote for
All Music:

PS... Nod to Kim F. from whom I stole the quote!
---------------------------------------

------- Album Personnel/Sidemen -------
 Jack Barber - Bass
 Michael Burglund - Horns
 Fran Christina - Drums
 Ronnie Cuber - Horns
 Clarence Holliman - Guitar
 Preston Hubbard - Bass
 Calvin Jones - Bass
 Mark Kazanoff - Horns
 John Mills - Horns
 Rocky Morales - Horns
 Derek O'Brien - Guitar
 George Rains - Drums
 Duke Robillard - Guitar
 Gene Taylor - Piano
 Junior Watson - Guitar
 Rusty Zinn - Guitar

 -------- Album Tracks --------
 Tiger Man
 Don't Touch Me
 The Hustle is On
 She Moves Me
 Hush Oh Hush
 If I Should Lose You
 Hunch Rhythm
 When the Light Go Out
 You Got Me
 Come Back Baby
 Boogie All Night
 Trust My Baby
 Reel Eleven, Take One

While the average rock and roll listener might not recognize the name Kim
Wilson, he would more than likely know of his band, The Fabulous
Thunderbirds.  Most blues listeners, on the other hand, are painfully
aware that hiding behind the T-Bird's growling Texas-Rock frontman is one
of the finest, fiercest harmonica players around.  While recognizing that
singing for a rock band has brought him his fame, Wilson (who has played
with many blues notables - including Muddy Waters) reveals his passion
for the blues in a recent interview: "I rarely put the harp in the rock
and roll stuff the T-Birds do; I wouldn't bastardize my instrument by
playing that stuff.  Rock to me doesn't exist - it's just a term that was
invented for guys who can't play."

And play he can.  Take a quick listen to one of the two harp showcase
pieces on the CD: "Hunch Rhythm" or "Reel Eleven, Take One."  Here Wilson
at times seems to be channeling the spirit of the late Little Walter
himself.  These two pieces are characterized by Big Huge Tone and gutsy,
aggressive phrasing.  Another track, "Boogie All Night," owes an obvious
debt to the great Walter Horton.

But the best thing about =Tigerman= is that it is NOT a life support
vehicle for harmonica solos.  The music is definitely contemporary but
with a surprisingly traditional sound and appeal. Wilson displays a
mature blues sensibility and delivers a solid collection of great songs -
many of which have no harmonica at all.  His vocal work is an equal and
admirable partner to his harmonica. As important in this CD's overall
equation is the guitar work, in particular, that of Junior Watson.  This
is not a CD by a harmonica player for harmonica players only. =Tigerman=
is highly recommended for any CD collection that includes a good sampling
of blues.

   ~Joe Terrasi

--
    /-/              * HOHNER *               / =-/