Re: Tone (cupping harp in hands)

--- Begin Message ---
I was perusing HARP-L files and saw this from early in May and decided to put
my 2 cents worth in.

>Am I correct in assuming that the more of your hands you have
>around and in front of your harp, the more you dampen the high
>frequency overtones?  And that cupping the harp in your hands thus
>helps to create the "FAT" tone that Charlie refers to?

>Eliot C. Williams

This is probably true. I also know that if you are using a mic (say a Shure
SM58 or other cardioid type) and cupping harp and mic together - you may be
blocking the sides of the mic - which picks up less low frequency and more
highs. Depending on how you hold the mic - you may be directing the sound into
the "top" or straight into the mic; which will enhance the bass frequencies.

         low

      _   v
     |  ..... <--mid
     |  .....              !Yet another fabulous ASCII illustration by Ely.
 mic-|   ___ \             !What's that you say - looks more like half-ASCII?
     |   \ /  \
     |   | |   high
     |   | |
     |   | |
     |   | |
     |_  \_/

So, I think this is just one more element of many which enter into how
someone's total sound is produced. It's not just the harmonica, mic,
embouchure, oral / nasal passages, PA / other gear, etc. it's a combination of
things. I've had people ask me "What kind of harmonica do you play? it has a
nice tone." I smile, say thank you, and show them whatever one I have
available, when in reality the harmonica has little to do with it. (not
bragging, but I can get halfway decent tone if I try.) If I really tried to
explain that it is such and such and such... they wouldn't understand and
wouldn't want to hear it anyway.

                    Jack Ely      ely.j@xxxxxxxxxxxxx@pmdf

--- End Message ---