Popper Post to USENET

I don't know if anyone cares about this or if cross posting is
"encouraged", but I thought this was too good to pass up.  A few days late
(sorry), but would like comments from the group....(should I not re-post,
this 'debate' old and tired, I already read enough about him in HIP, etc,):

In article <Cpt0CC.GFF@xxxxxxxxx>
lukem@xxxxxxxxx (Luke McCormick) writes:

> Newsgroups: alt.music.blues-traveler
> From: lukem@xxxxxxxxx (Luke McCormick)
> Subject: Letter from John Popper
> Sender: news@xxxxxxxxx (Usenet News)
> Date: Sat, 14 May 1994 17:52:59 GMT
>
> This is a letter from John Popper, presented with no further editorial
> comment.  I typed it in, so spelling and typos are mine.  If you have
> to him.  I'll be seeing them Monday and Tuesday at the Fillmore (!), so
> if you get it to my by then, I'll print 'em up and turn 'em over...
>
> ----
>
> To all the harmonica players, Internet "Bulldogs", & anyone else
> interested, etc;
>
> Everyone, it has come to my attention that there is a series of debates
> going on "Internet".  At the heart of these debates are several issues I
> will address each in turn.  Firstly, the facts; I have never been nor do
> I intend on going to a "Harmonica convention" in Chicago or anywhere
> else for that matter.  It seems to me that harp players enjoy being a
> persecuted race, which enables them to separate themselves from other
> musicians and go around like half-cocked gun fighters deciding who "the
> best harper is".  This is the silliest premise I've ever had to deal
> with and is precisely the reason why I will never go to a harmonica
> convention.  I'm a musician, that means I enjoy playing music, not being
> a harmonicist.  My influence more than anyone else was Jimi Hendrix who
> played the guitar--but he did more than play the guitar.  It was as if
> it didn't matter what instrument he was using, the voice he created with
> the sounds he was able to produce transcended any category of sections
> he would sit in, in a big orchestra.  He sang, and I desire to sing as
> well.  I don't care if I play harmonica, the trombone, or the saxophone,
> as did my other idol -- Charlie Parker.  If you're concerned about what
> instrument you're playing then you're missing a more important point of
> what you're saying on your instrument.  The object of the game, boys and
> girls, is to express what you mean honestly and share it.  And for those
> of you who don't understand that -- I'm a little embarrassed for you.
>
> I used to twirl my harp like a "six gun" and go around dueling people.
> I was good at it - "The Best Around" (A regular Jesse James).  Until
> one day I walked into Dan Lynch's Blues Bar on 2nd Avenue.  There I
> saw an old harmonica player I knew from around the scene who was
> playing that night with his band.  He looked at me worried and
> motioned to me that he's let me up in a few minutes to play.  I could
> see the fear in his eye, little beads of sweat forming - I felt good
> and smug and proud of myself that I could instill such fear in an old
> man.  But while I was waiting around to destroy him I started to
> notice the house.  The people were smiling having a good time and
> dancing to this old man.  He was rocking the place -- they were
> enjoying his simple straight ahead blues groove.  I knew that if I got
> [...]

Harvey A. Andruss, III                  email: haandruss@xxxxxxx

      /   /        There's licks,                      /___/

     /   *             then there's jammin'           *   /
    *                    and then there's                *
          grooveslaptwangbangwhoopbarkharmonifunkadelica!!
                  [ O O O O O O O O O O O ]/

 "...it's a challenge..."  Howard Levy, from his Homepsun Video