Re: Bending 5 hole draw

Steve,

You are not being pedantic, merely correct.  I agree that five
draw bend is a (slightly) higher pitch than five blow.  I
misstated my case in my earlier post.  What I intended to say
was that players who do bend the five draw are reaching for the
same note that is produced from the five blow.  As you said,
that note can't be reached.

We use those "microtonal" bends all the time, for slurring between
bent and unbent notes and for vibrato.  Sonny Boy II used off-pitch
quarter-tone notes to great effect, but only on the 2, 3, and 4
draws to my recollection.

Anyway, the five draw bend remains detrimental to harp health.

Thanks for the correction, Steve.

				George