---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 09:28:52 -0700
From: Barry Schaede <barrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: barrys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Steve Baker
Barnerster 26
22765 Hamburg Germany

May 22, 1994

Dear Mr. Baker:
I am writing to you with some questions regarding your SBS tuning Marine Band harmonica in the key of A.

A C# E A C# E A C# E A C# E A C#
B E G# B E G# B D F# G# B D F# G#

This is my assumption regarding how this harmonica comes tuned.  Is this correct?  Does this mean that the last C# is the fourth octave above middle C? The harmonica I got was not tuned this way.  The last 2 blow notes were badly tuned to G# and A.  Why does Hohner make the high reeds so short?  They're virtually impossible to tune correctly.  Lee Oskar harmonicas use much
longer reeds for the higher pitched reeds and they're much easier to retune.  Your harmonica is a wonderful idea for a new tuning.  I find it much more useful than say the new Lee Oskar Melody Makers.  I find that the extended range suits my style of playing wonderfully.  I especially like the extra low octave on the C and the extra high one on the A.  My only complaints
are the lack of screws to hold the reed plates to the comb and the previously mentioned problems i have tuning the higher pitched reeds.  As you know
Hohner tunes their reed plates to a less than ideal pitch for single note lead playing.  Ease of tuning is essential for t

I realize that you are only a consultant to Hohner.  If you feel that there is someone else my questions would be more appropriately addressed to feel free to pass my letter along or send me a name and address and I can write
 to them directly.

I also want to compliment you on your fine book The Harp Handbook.  If I was only going to have one harmonica book this would be the one.  Concise yet
 complete in every way.  The sections on the physics of reed bending and overblows were especially useful for me.

Thank you for your time and trouble.  If you have e-mail capabilities i can
 be reached at the following account. < barrys@ convx1.ccit.arizona.edu.

Sincerely,